Genealogical Private Research
I am a professional South African genealogist with over 25 years of experience and I was the official genealogy researcher on the popular T.V. series in the South African version of ”Who do you think you are?
My expertise offers research mainly from:
- Cape Town Archives
- Master of the High Court in Cape Town
- Pretoria Archives
- Pietermaritzburg Archives
- 1989 Voters Roll
- Education Records
- 1820 Settler Records
- German Immigrants
- British Immigrants
- Early Cape British History
- Cape Slavery
- Who’s Who book collection 1907 – 2007 (once off searches done for an hourly rate)
- Dutch Reformed Church Records
- Anglican Church Records of the Cape
- Maitland Cemetery Records
- Property Deeds Searches
- Have you used a private researcher before? If so please provide evidence of findings as well as the researchers name as she does not want to repeat unnecessary research.
- Why do you want this research done? Is it purely for interest? Adoption?, medical reasons, family rumour, visa or immigration reasons,or long lost relatives?
- Costs: These differ considerably from researcher to researcher and there is no hard and fast rule as to what the charges will be and nor is there a governing body that oversees them. When paying a researcher it is important to remember that you are not paying for the information as most of it is in the public domain but you are paying for there time, petrol, photocopying, parking, emails etc.
- Remember that you will be required to pay generally 50% upfront and the rest on completion.
- It is important to remember that a researcher will not always be able to find what you are looking for – if there are no records for your ancestors then there are none. Don’t expect a researcher to provide you with a family tree going back to Adam and Eve, most families are lucky enough to have recorded documentation going back 100 years – more than that you are very lucky.
What I need from you:
- Copies of all existing documents that you already have such as birth, baptism, marriage death etc for the main person you are wanting to research, if available,
- Either a GEDCOM file of your family tree or a simply tree drawn by you showing who’s who – if possible please?
- 50% deposit on start of investigation and 50% on completion
Please note that all research done is kept in strict confidence between me and the client and your information will not be shared and given to anyone or any website.